Winter Park summer activities remind us why we love living in the mountains! Grand County and the Fraser Valley have so much to offer when it comes to things to do in the great outdoors, and Summertime is the ideal time to get out and explore. These long days are perfect for outdoor activities, and the area offers a number of things to do that are fun for the whole family! Try rafting the Colorado River, wild trout fly fishing, mountain biking, award winning rounds of golf, scenic chair lift rides, and even try hiking in the Rocky Mountain National Park. There is something for everyone here!
There are tons of things to do at the base of the Winter Park Ski Resort, including the state’s longest alpine slide, Trestle Bike Park, hiking trails, chair lift rides, mini-golf, a rock climbing wall, disc golf, Leaps & Bounds Bungee, and much more! Check out these resources for more information about the base area and town goings-on:
Winter Park & The Fraser Valley Chamber of Commerce 1.800.903.7275
Fraser Valley Recreation Center 970.726.8968
- Looking for an easy 3-Day itinerary? Check out 36 Hours in Winter Park – Summer Edition
- To see what’s going on in Winter park all Summer long, check out our Summer Events Calendar
Fish! Fish! Got my wish! Fishing is a great pastime to get on the river and experience the outdoors with the whole family. The experienced angler will find every challenge available, and the beginner can find out why people return to Winter Park every year to chase wild trout.
Beacon Landing 970.627.3671
Grand County Fishing Company, LLC 970.726.5231
Mo Henry’s Trout Shop 970.531.8213
Winter Park Flyfisher 970.726.5231
Rocky Mountain National Park is a hiker’s paradise and is one of the best summer Winter Park activities to take part in. Here you’ll find everything from short walks through flower filled meadows, to day hikes with famous mountain lakes, to multi-day backcountry alpine routes. There are Rocky Mountain hiking trails for both beginners and experienced hikers to enjoy!
Rocky Mountain National Park 970.627.9595
Here are a few options in the area:
- The Fraser River Trail – If you’ve got little one with you this is one of the best bets as the trail gains very little elevation and it’s paved! The trail takes you from Winter Park Resort all the way into the town of Fraser. There are picnic tables and benches along the way. Bonus: You can hike AND bike here.
- The Creekside Trail – It’s just up County Road 73, across from Safeway, and has really well-labeled trails in case you can only do a “quick one.” Should have lots of early season sun exposure so one of the first/driest spots available.
- The Little Vasquez Trail/Loop – Really easy to find! Just take Vasquez Road, off Highway 40, all the way until you can’t go any further….you’re there! Lots of shade, so bring layers and potentially snowshoes if you’re there in April….will likely have lots of snow still. There are a few other trails (Blue Sky, Tunnel Hill) up here too if you’d like to make it a longer hike.
- YMCA of the Rockies/Snow Mountain Ranch – This is a terrific and extensive trail system for hiking/biking. You will need to pay for a day pass to access but they have TONS of other fun activities that are included in this day pass so you can truly make a day of it here. For $25 per adult/per day and $10 per child/per day (free for kids under 5), purchased at the Program Building near the entrance. The Waterfall Trail is really cool!
- For more Tips & Tricks about hiking in the area, check out this great resource: 5 Tips For Rocky Mountain National Park Daytrips
- And for more info about Hiking & Biking trail systems, see this great article: Spring Hiking & Biking In Winter Park
Riding a horse through the mountains and meadows of the Fraser Valley is a great way for the family to enjoy our beautiful part of the world, and there are rides for all ages and abilities. Mountain horseback riding is a once in a lifetime experience and one of the most exciting things to do in Winter Park!
Drowsy Water Ranch 970.725.3456
Snow Mountain Stables 970.509.9089
Sombrero Ranches, Inc. 970.627.3514
Rafting is one of the most popular summer Winter Park activities, and these outfitters can help you find a trip that suits your experience level, from mild to wild! Half day to multi-day adventures, within easy reach of Winter Park. To learn more, click here:
Adventures in White Water, Inc. 970.726.3279
Clear Creek Rafting Co. 303.567.1000
Mad Adventures 970.726.5290
Now in its 29th season, the High Country Stampede Rodeo features classic western events like barrel racing, steer wrestling, and bull riding. The arena is a great venue to enjoy the warm summer nights, beautiful sunsets, and the excitement that is rodeo!
High Country Stampede Rodeo 1.800.903.7275
Winter Park Adventure Quest is a rock climbing guide service in the Winter Park area, offering half-day guided rock climbing trips just minutes away in the Arapaho National Forest. Climbing is a fun and healthy way to experience the the great outdoors! You’ll challenge yourself, gain new skills, resilience— and muscle! Check out their website here:
Winter Park Adventure Quest 970.531.4143
There are a number of award winning golf courses in Winter Park that offer spectacular views and exceptional challenges for both beginners and experienced golfers. To find out about the courses, tee times, and specials check out these resources:
Grand Elk Ranch & Club 970.887.7200
Grand Lake Golf Course 970.627.8008
Golf Granby Ranch 1.888.850.4615
Pole Creek Golf Club 970.887.9195
- Coming to Winter Park for a Bachelor Party? Check out this great resource: Guy’s Getaway To Winter Park – Summer Edition
One of the best Winter Park activities to enjoy during the hot summer months is taking to the waters for a day of boating. Surrounded on three sides by Rocky Mountain National Park, Grand Lake is Colorado’s largest and deepest natural lake, and provides a unique boating experience near the Continental Divide. Check out these resources on Grand Lake and neighboring bodies of water for more info:
Beacon Landing 970.627.3671
Boater’s Choice 970.627.9273
Headwaters Marina 970.627.5031
Trailridge Marina 970-627-3586
Hot Sulphur Springs
For those looking for relaxing things to do in Winter Park, take a soak in the therapeutic natural hot springs at Hot Sulphur Springs and Spas, just 30 minutes west of town. Featuring a full service spa that offers massage and a variety of body treatments that will rejuvenate your body and soul.
Hot Sulphur Springs Resort & Spa 970.725.3306
- Ready for your trip to Winter Park? Check out 3 Easy Ways To Get To Winter Park