|You’ve booked your winter ski vacation to Winter Park – Congratulations! Winter in Colorado is gorgeous – and you’re going to have a great time. Now it’s time to start thinking about packing – both for yourself and your family. Packing for your trip can seem daunting if it’s one of your first times traveling to the mountains. But, the most important thing is getting your group to the mountains start having fun as soon as possible!
Here at Winter Park Lodging Company we love to make things easy for our guests, so we have put together these suggestions and a checklist of how to pack, and what to pack for your getaway to a Winter Wonderland in Colorado.
- Seven days prior to your vacation, pick a place in your home where you can start laying out the items you will need to bring. A guest bedroom is a great spot. Choose the luggage and carry-on you plan to use.
*Special Note: If you are a mom packing for the entire family, you go girl! Moms, you may want to start nine days prior to arrival to give yourself extra time and reduce your stress levels.
- Think “pack light” – Our homes have washers and dryers, so no need to bring 15 pairs of jeans (unless of course, you want to.)
- Pack layers. You’ll want a base layer (light insulation that wicks away moisture – try to stay away from cotton) a mid-layer (one that is insulative and is breathable), and an outer layer that is windproof, breathable and waterproof.
- Leave the dress clothes at home and pack a few pair of jeans and a nice fleece and sweater. Winter Park is pretty casual – and if you want to look like a local – dress like one!
Don’t Own Winter Gear or Clothing?
No problem! Check out winter gear rentals at Epic Mountain Sports, conveniently located the heart of Winter Park. They have tons of great hardware rental options, including Alpine Ski, Snowboard, Backcountry Set-Ups, Snowshoe, and Cross Country Ski rentals. Check out their soft goods options as well – they have great deals on Pants & Jackets for the whole family.
*Also note that when booking with Winter Park Lodging Company, you receive 25% Off your hardware rentals with Epic Mountain Sports! Contact our Team to learn more!
For Skiing & Snowsports:
- Warm, waterproof ski jacket
- Lightweight, waterproof ski jacket
- Waterproof ski pants
- Snow boots with tread (preferably waterproof or water resistant)
- Waterproof ski gloves
- Lightweight gloves
- Ski socks
- Quality long underwear- top and bottom, no cotton
- Extra layers – Under Armour shirts are great!
- Goggles with extra lenses for different light
- Neck warmer/gaiter/face mask
- Sunglasses- the Colorado sun is bright, and snow-blindness is a real thing! Remember to protect yourself!
- Ski helmet- you can rent one if you don’t own one
- Thin hat to wear under your helmet for cold days
- Baseball hat or beanie to hide your “helmet head” after skiing
- Lip balm with SPF
- The kitchen sink – just kidding!
For Après Fun:
- Bathing suit for the pool or hot tub
- Flip flops or sandals
- Jeans to wear to dinner
- Sweater or fleece
- Apres ski boots – something comfy!
- Charging cables
- That book you’ve been dying to read. We have a fireplace to curl up next to waiting for you in Winter Park!
For more info about Winter Park, CO check out these other great resources: