It is that time of year again when we are on the snow lookout. We are on our fourth year of the Winter Park,CO First Measurable Snow Contest. This year looks to be a good year of snow as the La Nina weather pattern is supposed to be hanging on until early in 2012. And that little La Nina was oh so kind to us last year we are looking for some great snow early this year, knock on wood.
Anyone fortunate enough to live or travel out here to CO during the 2010-11 winter knows that it was the mother of all winters with most Colorado resorts boasting record snow totals. Could this winter be a repeat of the La Nina conditions that brought about last year’s nearly endless winter (we had good a good snowfall in mid-June)?
The NOAA’s current climate models give us a coin flip’s chance at either a repeat La Nina event or the normal ENSO neutral. They aren’t the best odds in the world, but I’ll take them. Anywho, lets hope that the snow is flying early and often to make this another good winter of skiing.
The first measurable snow in Winter Park, Colorado contest goes like this:
- Guess the day of the first measurable snow at Winter Park Resort in the comments section below this blog or on the Winter Park Lodging Company Facebook Page
- Only one guess per person
- Measurable snow is more than half an inch
- Prize is dinner for two at Deno’s Mountain Bistro, $100.00 limit
- Guess must be in two days before actual snow
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!