Holly-Jolly Season Winter Park Style
There is something just a little bit brighter, a morsel merrier, when you are able to spend your holidays in the alpine wonder of Winter Park! There is so much beckoning from the slopes, from the village, and from around town throughout the coming month. Whether you are seeking adventure or contemplation, traditional or unique, solo or oh-so-many family and friends, you will find an activity to fulfill your holiday wishes.
“And I laughed when I saw him in spite of myself…”
Santa Claus sitting in a rocker, surrounded by glistening snow and sparkling eyes, on December 16th, 17th, and 23rd, Santa will be at the Village Gazebo. What a wonderful way for families to be able to spend some time with Santa. You can plan an entire family-focused day, as you enjoy hot chocolate, ice skating, village wanderings amongst twinkling lights and Christmas carolers, before heading to the gazebo for photos and conversation with Santa, from 3-5p.m. Truly, memories that can last a lifetime will be made at this fun event.
Walking in a Winter Wonderland
As you walk that Winter Park wonderland, delight in a December 24th day filled with holiday happenings. Before sleighing off into a night of gift giving, Santa Claus will be welcoming visitors at the Village Gazebo, from 1-5p.m. By 3:15, Christmas carolers will bring added pleasure to the scene as they fill the air with songs of the season.
As the sun begins to set, seek out the heat of the bonfire at Winter Park Resort’s base, next to the Zephyr Lift. From 4p.m. on, warm your hands and heart, revel in the caroling, and enjoy a steaming drink, while you anticipate the grand event: the Christmas Eve Torchlight Parade, scheduled to begin as the sun sets, at 5:30. Down Lower Hughes they will come, skiers and boarders bearing glowing torches to light way for Santa Claus and elves from the North Pole. Keep watch–the skies will fill with the sparkle of a fireworks spectacular. What is Christmas without a tree? Snowcats will conclude the celebration will a well-choreographed, illuminated Christmas tree formation that bids each and all a very merry Christmas and a Happy Ski Year!
As the parade is ending, and the anticipation is building, there are still holiday happenings awaiting. All are welcome to a non-denominational Christmas Eve service being held in the West Portal Station, 6p.m.
Good Eats and Happy Hours
- Deno’s Local Favorite Happy Hour at Deno’s Mountain Bistro. Enjoy everything from filet tips to shrimp tacos to $2.50 beers from 3 pm to 6 pm every day.
- BBQ Fun Happy Hour at Smokin Moes from 3 pm to 6 pm daily. $3 drafts, house wine $5 hot drinks, delicious pulled pork sliders, pb&J sliders, spicy hot links and more.
- Christmas Eve feast at The Lodge at Sunspot—call 970-726-1446 to make your reservations.
- Breakfast Buffet and Prime Rib Buffet at Hecks Tavern at Devils Thumb Ranch. Prime Rib Buffet is $39 per person, children under 12 are 1/2 price. Breakfast buffet is $18.95 per person, children under 12 are 1/2 price. All Christmas week, open from 7:30 am to 9 pm. 970–726–7013
It is the season to make merry, and Winter Park is inviting you up!
Good to Know
Mary Jane Ale Can Launch Party Update:
The New Belgium Ale that highlights our very own celebrity, Mary Jane, will premier its new can at the Launch Party, happening at the Derailer Bar, at Sunspot!
Activities and entertainment from noon until 5p.m. include:
- Mary Jane Ale samplings and giveaways
- An outside DJ
- A Bonfire
- Snowblade competition
- Yard games
- On mountain scavenger hunt: search for Mary Jane on the trails for chances to win amazing prizes. Scavenger instructions are located at the New Belgium tent.
Come for the skiing stay for the ale!
Also, remember that December 9th and 10th are also the perfect days to try out some sweet new equipment, as it is the weekend for Winter Park Resort’s Annual Demo Days: Winter Park Resort, 9am to 3pm.
Let it Snow!
Check back often, Winter Solstice officially heralds on Thursday, December 21, at 1:28 pm Rocky Mountain Time! The season is just gearing up.
12-7-2017 Anne-Marie & Larry