Looking for something to do besides skiing in Winter Park? To some that just seems unusual – “why wouldn’t you want to ski?” – they might ask. Well, from our experience, it’s much more common than you may think.
Let’s say you just don’t want to ski every day you’re in Winter Park, or have an injury and you don’t want to sit at the condo all day. Fortunately, there are many other activities, both outdoor and indoor, to keep you busy. To start, here are a list of outdoor activities:
- The Winter Park Visitor Center hosts free beginner snowshoe tours including free snowshoe rentals on Friday-Sunday from Dec – Mar. For info or to sign up, contact them at email@example.com or 970-726-4118.
- Snow Mountain Ranch Nordic Center has 100km of groomed trails and snowshoe rentals (970-887-2152).
- Devil’s Thumb Ranch also has tons of groomed trails and rentals (970-726-1099).
- Sleigh Rides
- Sombrero Stables at Snow Mountain Ranch does several hot cocoa sleigh rides per day as well as dinner sleigh rides nightly. See our discounts on sleigh rides and call 970-887-1999 for reservations.
- Snowmobile Tours or Rentals
- Grand Adventure Snowmobiles has rentals so you can go out on your own snowmobile adventure, plus does several group tours daily. We also have guest discounts on snowmobiling!
- Cross-Country Skiing
- Nordic Centers such as Snow Mountain Ranch and Devil’s Thumb Ranch have hundreds of kilometers of trails, rentals and lessons.
- Rentals from Ice Box Rentals if you are experienced and want to try out some national forest trails on your own (970-722-7780).
- Sledding and Tubing
- FREE Sledding Hill in Hideaway Park next to the Winter Park Visitor Center in downtown Winter Park. Sleds are provided, too! Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 970-726-4118 for info.
- Colorado Adventure Park is the coolest and newest place to go tubing in the area. They have several different lanes for tubing, with varying levels of bumpiness and speed, a magic carpet conveyor lift to get back up the hill, plus mini snow-scoots (like snowmobiles just for kids). For kids three and under there is a free sledding hill and free sleds just for them. Plus, a terrain park is opening February 2012. Click here for details and pricing.
- Fraser Tubing Hill is a HUGE tubing hill with a rope tow. When heading to Fraser from Winter Park, take a left at the light where Safeway is and you’ll see it on the left. Pricey, at about $17/hour, but worth it. They’re open from 12pm to 9pm weekdays and 10am – 9pm on Sat/Sun. The best time to go to avoid crowds is during the day while everyone is still out skiing (970-726-5954 after Dec 1st).
- Snow Mountain Ranch sledding and tubing hill. This is the best value if you’re looking for something bigger than the free hill in town, but don’t want to pay as much as the Fraser Tubing Hill. About $15 per person for the entire day includes sled and tube rentals. If your a member of YMCA, it’s free. They have a rope tow and an ice skating rink next to the hill (970-887-2152).
- Ice Skating
- Village Ice Skating Rink next to Cheeky Monk at Winter Park base area. Outdoor rink with nice views of the slopes. Free to use, but you need to rent skates from Winter Park Resort Rentals if you don’t bring your own.
- Cooper Creek Square Ice Skating Rink – partly covered rink next to the free parking garage and the Cooper Creek Shopping Center in downtown. Rentals also needed, which are available next door at Christy Sports or the Viking Ski Lodge. Call the Visitor Center at 970-726-4118 for more info.
- Devils Thumb Ranch has an outdoor rink as well, with rentals.
- Snow Mountain Ranch also has a covered outdoor rink located right next to their sledding and tubing hill. Rentals are included in the day pass to the rink and the sledding hill for $15. (Call 970-887-2152 for info).
- Hot Air Balloon Rides
- Yep, Grand Adventure Balloon Tours operate during the winter, too. The air is warmer as you get higher and they also supply warm blankets and champagne! Our guests get 10% off!
- Dog-Sled Rides
- Lots of fun and definitely something different. Get pulled by a team of Siberian Huskeys through the beautiful forest. Dog Sled Rides of Winter Park also offer our guests discounts.
So, there you have it. A nice list to get you started on planning what to do in Winter Park. You can also check out our list of indoor activities and click here to see more winter activities. Have a fun time on and off the slopes!
Sarah November 14th, 2009
Posted In: Deals & Discounts, Kid's Activities, Winter Activities in Winter Park
activities OTHER THAN skiing, Activities OTHER THAN skiing in the winter